Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sanctum by Sarah Fine

Wednesday, June 4, 2014
Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)Sanctum by Sarah Fine
Publisher: Amazon Children's Publishing
Series: Guards of the Shadowlands, #1
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult, Romance
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"My plan: Get into the city. Get Nadia. Keep us safe. Find a way out. Simple."

IT'S BEEN A LOOOONG TIME SINCE I FELT THE RUSH OF ADRENALINE FROM READING A BOOK. I miss it. I need it. I am C-R-A-V-I-N-G for it. Craving for that pumped up feeling and the need to stay up late because I can't put it down.

THANK GOD I STUMBLED UPON THIS BOOK.

I'm not going to lie. If it wasn't for 'Angelfall,' I wouldn't have found & read Sanctum. I googled "Books similar to Angelfall on goodreads" (Ohhh yes, I'm SUCH a fan..) and saw Sanctum on top of the list. But hey, don't get me wrong, this isn't about angels and apocalypse at all. It's just similarly oh-so-good, adrenaline rushing and BADASS.

■■■


(photo from p0m.deviantart.com)

The majority of the book takes place behind the Suicide Gates called the "Dark City." It's an afterlife realm for the souls of people who die by suicide. The city is bathed in darkness and all sources of light are lifeless and faint. A city where you can see the sun at zero brightness. A city where dead people breathe, bleed, and can be "killed."

Oh, have I mentioned there are creepy, filthy, and venomous human monsters roaming in this city?.... Go figure.



"I liked being in control. It was why I hated pills. And alcohol. And most grown-ups. Staying one step ahead was the only way to keep myself from getting hurt again."

 Meet Lela Santos. She's by far the strongest and bravest girl among all my favorite female characters. I'm telling you, she's a real SPITFIRE. And boy, does she kick ass!

"That’s better, thank you. Now, if you don’t tell me why you’re here, right now, I will slice that tattoo off your arm and burn it in front of you, Lela."

Meet Malachi, the captain of the guards. **His features were smooth and unlined but it held a harsh, dangerous sort of beauty.** He isn't a bad boy. He isn't a good boy either. He is dangerous, at the same time sympathetic. He seldom throw the sweetest words to Lela (thank God!) but he never hides how much he has come to care about her either. Aww Malachi, you're my kind of perfect.. *dreamy sigh*

❤ ❥ ❤ ❥ ❤

Sarah Fine's writing is sooo vivid, it's AMAZING. The world in this book is fully fleshed out that I promise there's not a scene I hadn't pictured in my head. I could see and feel everything that was happening. Also, the plot never lost momentum despite the great romance going on. I appreciate that A LOT.

Overall, I love the originality of the story, the writing, the characters, the danger, the imperfections, EVERYTHING. I'm recommending this to everyone!!!

View all my reviews
Turning Pages of Fiction © 2014