Monday, March 31, 2014

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Monday, March 31, 2014
Eleanor & ParkEleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 STARS rounded up to 4

"He thought now, he just didn't recognize all those other girls. The way a computer drive will spit out a disk if it doesn’t recognize the formatting.

When he touched Eleanor’s hand, he recognized her. He knew."


Where should I start? I honestly enjoyed reading Eleanor and Park and now I understand why there's so much hype about this book. It's a direct representation of an unexpected friendship that has blossomed into fresh, young love. And we know that young love is probably the best kind of love there is because it's so naive, so unsophisticated, yet ever so charming and sincere.

"Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn’t supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something."

Another thing that I like about this book, Eleanor is unlike any other heroine in the fictional world, especially in the "looks" department. She's chubby, has a lot of freckles, and she dresses like a fashion tramp with a massive red hair included. Park knows it. He knows she doesn't look nice. He's not blind of her imperfections, and yet he loves her just the same.

It's not an overstatement to say that this book is like sunshine. It gives you this pleasant, warm and fuzzy feeling all over. However it didn't give me the ~swoons~ or the butterflies. It's just.. nice. It made me smile and made me happy for them. Normally, when I read a book I feel like I'm a part of it. Either as the heroine herself or as an imaginary person she is with (don't we all?). But in this one I felt like I was just watching them from afar and the only thing I can do was to be happy for them. I guess it's hard to connect to the characters because I'm already too old for their puppy love story.

The other downside of this book is the ending. Cliffhangers are normal but unresolved issues and sudden life changing events on the last parts are downright confusing (especially if it doesn't have a second book to support and resolve it).

Oh and by the way, I really love the author's writing style. So if you're into sweet, adorable and unique romance with deep and lyrical writing, this book is for you. :)

View all my reviews
Turning Pages of Fiction © 2014