Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Champion by Marie Lu

Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Champion (Legend, #3)Champion by Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Series: Legend, #3
Genre: Dystopian, Romance, Sci-Fi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

(WARNING: MILD SPOILERS)


"I think I don’t care about you anymore, that things will be easier once you’re far away, and then all of a sudden I’m here again, and you’re..." Day pauses to look at me. The anguish in his expression is a knife cutting through my heart. "Why do I do this to myself? I see you and feel such—" He has tears in his eyes now. The sight is more than I can bear. He takes two steps away from me and then turns back like a caged animal. "Do you even love me?"

My emotions are tangled into a big ball of mess right now. It's all too much for me to process. This is by far and easily the most emotional YA Dystopian book I've ever read, hell, it's even more emotional than any cry-fest and heartwrenching contemporary novels I know. Marie Lu breaks the record with every book she writes, it's crazy.

This review isn't going to be objective, I'm sure a lot of reviewers can take care of the technicalities. I'm writing this review to express how it made me feel and how it affected me because after all, the power of this book is in its emotional punches.

“You drive me insane, June,” he murmurs against my hair. “You’re the scariest, most clever, bravest person I know, and sometimes I can’t catch my breath because I’m trying so hard to keep up. There will never be another like you. You realize that, don’t you? Billions of people will come and go in this world,” he says softly, “but there will never be another like you.”

I'm not among those girls who automatically melt into a puddle of goo when guys throw words like this. But it's Day . He can turn flatteries into something else, laying genuineness and love beneath his words. And that's why I love him. If June's the scariest, most clever, and bravest one (I love her, too), Day's the most strong-willed, loving, and sincerest of all.


"I moan from another excruciating stab of pain in my head. My vision has started to blur, and I realize it’s because I can’t stop my eyes from watering nonstop. I wipe a hand across my face and smile weakly at Eden. "Damn, I’m dripping water like a leaky faucet."

I've read a lot of books directly echoing a real and worse tragedy. Rape, massacre, a crazy main male protagonist who's a murderer, etc. So why is this book more compelling to me? I don't want to sound like I'm fawning over the author, but it is in the way she writes . She can make Day's illness sound more frightening than murder. She can turn Day and June's simple 'hi and hello' into something so painful. This is why I'm quoting a lot from the book in this review, words are just words until she weaves them powerfully into details, heightening everything including the readers emotions.



Did I like everything that happened in this book? Honestly, all throughout the story I was hoping the tumor didn't really exist. That perhaps someone was just trying to kill day by adding poison and harmful chemicals to his medicines. I was also hoping (view spoiler). So yes, reality slapped me, twice, and I love this book more for it.

The ending isn't a fairytale's happy ever after. It's reality's a-new-beginning ever after.

Overall, Champion is a bittersweet yet an outstanding way to end and say goodbye to this series. I hate farewells, but...

Goodbye, our Prodigy June Iparis.

Goodbye, our Legend Day Altan Wing.

Goodbye, our Champions.

Long live the Republic.

■■■

"Sometimes, the sun sets earlier. Days don’t last forever, you know. But I’ll fight as hard as I can. I can promise you that." </["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]>

View all my reviews
Turning Pages of Fiction © 2014