Thursday, May 1, 2014

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Thursday, May 1, 2014
All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1)All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Publisher: Bloomsburry
Series: All Our Yesterdays, #2
Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller, YA, Dystopian
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

ACTUAL RATING: 4.5 STARS


“Marina?” James whispers.
“Yeah?”
“Do you think I’m a bad person?”
“What?”
“Is there evil in me? Could I become a terrible person someday?
“James.. You’re the best person I know.”
“I want to be good.” His lip starts to wobble, and he raises a hand to his mouth to cover it. “I want to do good. I want to help people.”

What would you do if you could travel in time? What would you change if you could manipulate the past? What would you feel if someone from the future told you you're going to be an evil person someday?

What would you do if you came face to face with your future or past self?...

•••

I'm going to start with the technicalities. First, we have space-time manipulation in this book. I believe the author did an excellent job in making the concept seem highly possible if not real. I know it's hard to write books with similar concept because of plot holes but thankfully the author managed to keep them to a minimum by presenting reasonable paradoxes and logic.

The majority of the book doesn't take place in Marina and Finn's cells although the blurb suggests otherwise. The prison scenes in the beginning (chapter 1-4) only serve as an introduction to their present state. The rest of the story revolves around the past, as the present Marina and Finn go back to their previous life and deal with the younger version of themselves and their friend James'.

For a dystopian/sci-fi novel, it's surprisingly powerful and emotional. It made me feel and realize a lot of things. I think about the terrifying advances in technology with unknown repercussions. Breakthroughs in science that are unknown to the public. I personally believe space-time travelling isn't that far-fetched, and this book presented its possible repercussions which are truly horrible and scary. This book also opened my eyes to the unpredictable future and unpredictable human behavior. How can someone so good turn into a very bad person? People do bad things all the time because we are ever so flawed, but when does it start changing us into a bad, cruel person?...

There are some parts of the book that almost made me cry. There was a scene wherein the present and older Marina came face to face with the past and younger version of James. Her James when he was still her bestfriend. The beautiful, caring, and innocent James she secretly loved. It was like being with someone who's already dead and it's so, so heartbreaking. I'm sure a lot of readers will relate to it because we all have people in our lives who are not the same person as they used to be anymore. The romance is also one of the best thing about this book because Finn is simply fascinating. But I'm not gonna lie, the friendship between Marina, Finn, and James is the most compelling element of the story.

Overall, All Our Yesterdays is another masterpiece you shouldn't missed. You MUST read it.

View all my reviews
Turning Pages of Fiction © 2014